There has been a complete freedom of religion in Finland since 1923. Everyone is therefore entitled to practise their own religion and to express their beliefs as long as they don't violate the fundamental human rights or break the law. Finns are not particularly active church-goers even though most of them belong to the church. Most Finns observe the Christian faith, belonging to either the Evangelical Lutheran (78%) or the Orthodox Church (1%).
There is also a prayer room for on the Kuopio Campus. The room is locked so you will need a key to access the room. You can apply for a key to the prayer room from the Office of Facilities Management located in the Snellmania building, ground floor, Ms. Anne Sulkakoski, Room 1078/5.
You can find out more about the activities of the parishes/congragations/groups by contacting them directly.
- Lutheran Church in Joensuu
- The Orthodox Church of Saint Nikolaos
- Catholic Church
- Evangelical Free Church
- Islam: Joensuu Mosque of Islam, Kauppakatu 35, open 24 hours a day
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Torikatu 32
- Seventh-day Adventist Church (Adventtiseurakunta)- Ilmarisenkatu 1
- Lutheran Church
- Orthodox Church
- Islam: Kuopio Mosque, The Islamic Society of Savo, Soikkokuja 12, email: mimursal(at)gmail.com
- There is a prayer room on Campus. For more information, please contact anne.kauppinen (at) uef.fi
- Seventh-day Adventist Church (adventtiseurakunta): Saastamoisenkatu 10,
- Catholic Church: A Chapel of Saint Olav´s Paris- Saint Joseph´s Chapel, Lönnrotinkatu 24
- Pentecostal Church (helluntaiseurakunta) International Friendship Group Kuopio
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Siikaniemenkatu 2